Lefties: Learn to Knit Left-Handed!
Learn the basic stitches: Cast on, knit and purl. Read directions left-handed. Make a simple scarf!
Don't let your special talent stop you from figuring out right-handed patterns and knitting as comfortably as you write. I do it every day.
Here at Naturally Fuzzy Yarns we do it your way!
Come and enjoy this class, and no more tears trying to force yourself to knit right-handed!
All the stuff they don’t teach you in the beginner knitting class!
I know how to knit and purl. But what happens when I drop a stitch? How to decipher that pattern?
What kind of yarn do I want to use, and what needles will work best with it? Maybe I don’t like that yarn – how do I know what other yarns might work, and how much will I need?
What’s with all the mysterious terms and abbreviations, and what do they mean to me? And what do all these knitting gadgets do? What do I need in my knitting bag?
Make the most of your valuable time and materials!
I just bought a brand new sewing machine. They showed me how the machine works, but there’s nobody to teach me about sewing!
I’m excited about making curtains, tablecloths, and other home décor. Maybe baby clothes. I might want to be a crafter or maybe even a quilter -
- What kind of fabric, batting, interfacing do I need for my project? And the threads that will work well with them.
- Say what? Sewing and fabric terminology and pattern reading.
- What other equipment do I need? All about sewing notions and supplies. Use of different machine feet, needles, etc. Uses for a serger in addition to your regular machine.
- How do I keep my machine happy? Basic operation, troubleshooting; when to change your needle, etc.
- I’m an artist, working in a new medium. What techniques will make it great? Layout, cutting, marking, pressing. Matching a plaid. Seam finishes, trims, bias bindings, lace, etc.
- How does Betty make it look so easy? Sewing tips and tricks.
- What if I can’t do that with my machine? Very basic hand sewing: threads, needles. How to hand sew a seam, a button, a hem; blind stitch, etc.
- Arrgghh! I spilled it! Fabric care and stain removal.
The quilting class to take before you take ANY quilting class! This is the quilting class no-one teaches!
Quilting begins with planning your quilt, and this means using the correct tools to take you to heirloom quality quilts. This class walks you through it all:
- Choosing and using your tools: everything from rotary cutters and mats to needles that really make your quilting fun and enjoyable; hoops and quilt frames… everything.
- How to know quality material: telling good quality fabric from some very close look-alikes; the best threads and why you need to know the differences, batting and which kind is right for your special quilt project.
- Planning your quilt: pattern reading; calculating piece dimensions and seam allowances; marking for cutting and quilting; aligning the grain, and many other fundamental skills you need to know even before you pick up that quilting needle.
- Information on caring for your fabrics and your finished quilts.
- And stretch breaks to save your back and your wrists so you can go on quilting forever!
When you finish this class, you’ll be confident how to pick everything you need and to discard the things others have told you to use, that have failed you.
Sewing and quilting are not the same thing. Join us in a fun and exciting workshop that will get you started right or change the way you quilt forever.
This class will save you Jan's decades of learning by trial and error!
Perfect Hand Quilting!
If you haven’t figured it out by now, I’m a hand quilter! Machine work is OK, but it’ll never be the same as quality hand work. If you enjoyed my fundamentals class, come on back and I’ll show you why!
For all you quilters new and experienced, a two-part class you’ll never forget:
Part 1: Before you set needle to cloth, Jan will walk you through the various fabrics, the proper threads, the needles and notions that make quilting so relaxing and enjoyable. These are the helpful hints that have made her classes a hit for over thirty years!
Part 2: Take a trip through the history of white-on-white quilts, made of chintz and satin in long-ago England. These heirlooms are no longer a thing of the past!
Then perfect your quilting stitch! You’ll make a block that’s not only perfectly quilted on the top; it’s reversible, beautiful hand stitching on the back as well. It’s so easy when you know all the tricks of this method. It’s safe, even if you’re already having wrist problems. And you can lap-quilt these beauties, making it easy to quilt on the go.
During Part 1 you’ll receive a supply list of materials you’ll need for Part 2. Also, you’ll buy a kit containing all the supplies you’ll need for the class, including quilting thread, batting and quality 100% cotton fabric. Jan will provide a variety of pattern templates.
If you never take a class in quilting again, don’t miss this one!
Basic Hand piecing!
Join in the fun! Learn the techniques that will make your quilting projects perfect – and easy! Draw your own pattern or pick one from a pattern book. Learn simple marking and cutting, and use them for all your quilting needs. And come away with a pieced block, ready for joining, quilting, bordering, and binding into a finished quilt!
Great piecing is about getting all those corners to meet exactly, no matter what the shape. Hand piecing makes it easy! Even if you have never sewn a straight line before, this class is for you. If you have done some sewing, you’ll learn more than you ever knew before about perfect piecing, pressing and getting your best quilting results.
So let’s get started on your own hand piecing quilt project!
Add the wildest colors, exotic fabrics, and fancy embroidery to your quilt!
Generaations ago your great-great-grandmother practiced embroidery stitches on a quilt made of odd shapes and bright, rich colors. It looked like a lot of work.
She never let on how much fun it was!
You'll get crazy when you see all the fabrics that make this a classic. We'll make a Crazy-Quilt Christmas stocking or a tree skirt. Learn all the fancy empbroidery stitches you ever wanted, and then make up your own! Great fun and no end to the possibilities!
You'll want to take this class again and again!
Beginner Counted Cross-Stitch!
Here's a counted cross-stitch piece I finished for a friend!
This is NOT your basic counted cross-stitch class! We start at the very basics and progress to a veriety of fancy stitches. Although it is perfectly appropriate for beginners, even cross-stitchers with years of experience can learn valuable tricks and techniques.
We'll cover everything from basic pattern reading to a number of embroidery stitches used in Europe but seldom seen in this country. Most cross -stitchers have never seen or heard of them. As with all our classes, we emphasize the use of only the finest linens and threads and the careful hand work that produces heirloom quality.
Making the most of your quilting/knitting space!
You'll enjoy your needlework hobby or business more and be more productive if your sewing space is set up just for you. I'll show you how to meet your needs for:
- Working comfort
- Fabric protection
- Decor to make it all yours
- ... and many other aspects!
Even if all you have for space is a small closet, I can show you how to make it work for you. If you're lucky enough to have a whole room, don't forget lots of light and a comfortable chair to relax and work in!
Ever hear of carpal tunnel syndrome, the disease of the nineties? Did you know that it used to be called "quilter's wrist?" Avoid this and other hazards of repetitive motion by setting up right, right from the start!
We're working on these!
- Intermediate Knitting!
- Advanced Knitting: Assembly
- Learn how easy it is to put that sweater together!
- Advanced Knitting: Cable Stitches!
- Advanced Knitting: Intarsia!
- More stitches; pattern reading; choosing your yarn; finishing a project
- Hand Appliqué
- Learn the techniques for perfect appliqué! Think Baltimore Album – even Hawaiian!
- Finishing Your Quilt
- And how many beautiful unfinished pieces do YOU have tucked away? Learn how easy it can be to add your border and binding!
(Selection subject to change without notice)
Last updated 08/13/09.